I had an experimental Tuesday in the kitchen and of the two things I made, one was awesome and one was a rage-inducing flop. We’ve just bought a new oven and gas hob, so silly me was all excited about baking super fast with my never-before-attempted thermofan oven. Needless to say, my cinnamon and cranberry muffins resemble dried out, dusty concrete rocks with a gorgeous flavour that makes the flop that much more frustrating. I like to think I can shrug off the mistakes and have a laugh, but for some reason this one totally ruined my evening. I’ll be trying it again this weekend because I think it’s one of those that will become a classic when I get it right.
Thank goodness for the protein balls then, as I think they’re the best ones I’ve made to date! They are super soft and silky with a yummy vanilla cookie dough flavour, so I’m calling them Cookie Dough Protein Balls (you can’t fault my innovation, can you).
There’s not much else to say except try these! They are choc full of protein and coconut to help you feel fuller for longer; the perfect mid-afternoon or post-workout snack.
Cookie Dough Protein Balls
I added the following ingredients to my food processor, but you actually don’t need a food processor for this recipe; mixing in a normal bowl with a wooden spoon works just as well.
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 scoops protein powder (a standard scoop is around 50ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (or extract)
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 cup almond milk (added gradually)
- Handful crushed or chopped macadamia nuts
1. Blend ingredients together well. Add the milk slowly until the right consistency is achieved – the mixture should be silky smooth but not too wet as you need to roll it into balls.
2. Roll into balls and roll in more desiccated coconut.
3. Refrigerate til needed and try not to eat them all in one go.
Tip: if you need to melt your honey try putting the jar in hot water instead of microwaving it, as intense heat destroys most of the honey’s health benefits.