Sometimes when you’re in the mood for indulging, you just want what you want. If you’re craving something in particular then you have to have that thing…anything else is just unsatisfying. Like if you really want Smarties and someone gives you M&Ms – I mean, what kind? Because peanut and chocolate centres are just so easy to mix up right – not. Who ruined your childhood?
Anyway, my point is that sometimes a substitute is simply not good enough. You want chocolate cake and I tell you to have a sugar-free chia seed biscuit instead…you’re going to tell me where to shove my sugar-free chia seed biscuit, and it’s not going to be in my mouth.
Enter the one exception to this rule – a healthy version of Millionaire’s Shortbread. Millionaire’s Shortbread, also known as Chocolate Caramel Slices or Caramel Shortbread, is like the holy grail of biscuits and chocolate. It’s disgustingly sweet, crumbly yet sticky and has three layers, because one layer or even two is just Not Trying Hard Enough.
So you’d think a healthy version would be sub-standard, disappointing, an unwelcome outcast in the land of Full Fat Or Nothing? You’d be wrong. This recipe will change your mind forever about healthy sweets. And maybe even Smarties and M&Ms….
Millionaire’s Shortbread (or raw vegan salted caramel slice, but it just doesn’t have the same ring)
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 6 dried dates, soaked in water
- 2 tsp vanilla powder / extract
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 raw honey
- Pinch Himalayan Crystal salt (add salt to taste until your caramel is salted)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cacao
- 2-3 tbsp raw honey
1. Blend each layer separately starting from the base, and freeze each layer while you are making the next one.
2. Once you have layered all three, put it back in the freezer for 20 minutes til properly set.
3. Serve straight out the freezer! Best stored in the freezer as well.